Visa Revalidation

General Information

Individuals who are in diplomatic status in the US (A 1-2, G 1-4, or NATO 1-6 visas) and their dependents may renew their visas while in the United States. As a first step, please fully review this information. For further information, you should contact the Office of Diplomatic Liaison or the Visa Office (CA/VO/P/D) at the Department of State at (202) 663-1743, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, between the hours of 2 pm and 4 pm (Eastern Time). Please note: CA/VO/P/D is unable to issue A-3, G-5 and NATO-7 visas. If you are in A-3, G-5 or NATO-7 status, you are required to apply at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad for a new visa. For A-3, G-5 and NATO-7 applicants who wish to extend their status in the U.S. but do not wish to obtain a new visa, CA/VO/P/D can coordinate with CIS on the extension of status in some cases. For more information, the Foreign Mission or International organization should contact CA/VO/P/D. You may also see How do I extend my stay in the U.S.?

How to Apply -Required Documentation

Applicants must submit all required documentation with the visa application. The Visa Office is unable to accept supplementary mailings from applicants who forgot to include some or all of the required documentation or other information. There are NO visa fees for A 1-2, G 1-4 or NATO 1-6 visa applications.

Each applicant for visa revalidation must submit:

One passport, valid for travel to the U.S. for at least six months beyond the visa application date (including Visa Office processing time). Attach the passport containing the most recent A, G or NATO visa.
The original I-94, Arrival- Departure Record, issued by the Department of Homeland Security, US Customs and Border Protection from the applicant’s most recent admission to the U.S.
One visa application form DS-1648 , Application for A, G or NATO visa, fully completed and signed. A pplicants must complete the electronic “e-form application”. The non-electronic form DS-1648 will NOT be accepted. Select Application for A, G, and NATO Visa, Form DS-1648 to access the electronic version. When completing Form DS-1648, a pplicants must give their full surname, full first and middle names. Please spell out the date of birth, i.e. 04 MAR 1940. Include the principal applicant’s and applicant’s Personal Identification Number (PID) assigned by the Office of Protocol, if available. (Many NATO applicants do not have a PID number.)
(NOTE: DS-1648 is ONLY for A 1-2, G1-4 and NATO1-6 visa applicants applying in the U.S. In cases of change of status for those working at the United Nations you should use the DS-1648 in lieu of the DS-156).

One photograph stapled or glued to the DS-1648 in the designated space, which meets the Nonimmigrant Photograph Requirements.
Dependents applying separately from the principal applicant must submit copies of the principal applicant’s visa and front and back of the principal applicant’s I-94 in addition to the requirements listed above.

How To Apply

The application package should be submitted through your Embassy in Washington to CA/VO/P/D’s Diplomatic Desk, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, between the hours of 11 am and 12noon (Eastern Time). NATO visa applicants may submit their applications through your commanding office.

If your application package is submitted by mail from your commanding office, include a self-addressed, stamped return envelope or a properly completed commercial courier airbill and envelope. The Visa Office does not endorse the use of any particular commercial courier service. If using the U.S. Postal Service, the Postal Service recommends a padded envelope for passport return. A family should submit one courier airbill/envelope or one self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of their documents. Please use the military command’s address or the applicant’s personal address in the U.S. as the “from” address on the airbill or the self-addressed envelope. Please ensure that the airbill contains the military command’s courier company account number or applicant’s valid credit card number. CA/VO/P/D’s mailing address is:

CA/VO/P/D – Visa Office
U.S. Department of State
2401 E Street, NW (SA-1, L-703)
Washington, DC 20522-0106

Please allow a minimum of 2-5 business days to process any diplomatic visa. In some cases, processing may take longer.

Change of Status – Into or within Diplomatic Status

If you are in the United States in a non-Diplomatic visa status and you accept employment with a diplomatic mission or an international organization you must obtain a change of visa status from the Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) before beginning employment with the Mission or International Organization. Applicants requesting a change of status to either the A or G category should first submit two copies of Form I-566 to the Department of State, Office of Protocol. Upon receipt of the signed Forms I-566 from the Office of Protocol, the Foreign Mission or International Organization should submit both copies along with the required documents to CA/VO/P/D. For information about the required documents, the Foreign Mission or International Organization should contact CA/VO/P/D at the number above.

CA/VO/P/D will coordinate with CIS on processing the form I-566. If the CIS grants a change of status to the A or G category, the Diplomatic Liaison Office (CA/VO/P/D) will then issue the visa if the Foreign Mission has submitted Form DS-1648 (Application for Visa) accompanied by the applicant’s passport, a passport-size photo, and the Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) reflecting the change of status. For additional information, the Foreign Mission or International Organization should contact CA/VO/P/D.

Change of Status – Out of Diplomatic Status

If you are in the United States in a Diplomatic visa status and you are leaving your assignment, your Foreign Mission or International Organization must first notify the Office of Protocol that you are departing. If you or your dependents are remaining in the U.S. in non-Diplomatic visa status, your Foreign Mission or International Organization should submit two copies of the form I-566 directly to CA/VO/PD after notifying to the Office of Protocol. CA/VO/P/D will verify that your registration as a diplomat has been terminated with Protocol and return the signed I-566 forms directly to you. You should then contact your CIS office to complete the change of Status request.

Please note: CA/VO/P/D does not endorse I-566 forms for individuals who are changing their status to an Immigrant status. Please contact your CIS office directly to complete the change of status to Immigrant status.