Naturalization of children/Derivation of Citizenship through Parents

There are several ways foreign-born children of U.S. citizens may obtain evidence of citizenship:

Generally, U.S. citizen parents of children born abroad may file an Application for Certificate of Citizenship. This form should be completed in accordance with the instructions provided and should be accompanied by 2 photographs of the child, copies of any documents that verify eligibility, and the required filing fee to be considered complete and ready to process.

Important note: Children born abroad of U.S. citizen parents derive citizenship from their parents. The Certificate of Citizenship is merely a record of citizenship – it does not confer citizenship on an applicant. Adopted children of citizen parents acquire citizenship.

For more information on Naturalization Through Parents, or to process an application, please contact our law office.