Victims of Criminal Activity: U Nonimmigrant Status

Individuals and their families may fall victim to many types of crime in the U.S. These crimes include: rape, murder, manslaughter, domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking and many others.

U nonimmigrant status protects victims of crimes who have suffered substantial mental or physical abuse due to the crime and are willing to help law enforcement authorities in the investigation or prosecution of the criminal activity.

U Nonimmigrant Eligibility

You may be eligible for a U nonimmigrant visa if:

  • You are the victim of qualifying criminal activity.
  • You have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of criminal activity.
  • You have information about the criminal activity. If you are under the age of 16 or unable to provide information due to a disability, a parent, guardian, or next friend may possess the information about the crime on your behalf (see glossary for definition of ‘next friend’).
  • You were helpful, are helpful, or are likely to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. If you are under the age of 16 or unable to provide information due to a disability, a parent, guardian, or next friend may assist law enforcement on your behalf.
  • The crime occurred in the United States or violated U.S. laws
  • You are admissible to the United States. If you are not admissible, you may apply for a waiver for Advance Permission to Enter as a Non-Immigrant.

Qualifying Criminal Activities

Abduction, Abusive Sexual Content, Blackmail, Domestic Violence,Extortion, False, Imprisonment, Female Genital Mutilation, Felonious Assaultm, Hostage, Incest,Involuntary Servitude, Kidnapping, Manslaughter, Murder, Obstruction of Justice, Peonage, Perjury, Prositution, Rape, Sexual Assault, Sexual Exploitation, Slave Trade,Torture, Trafficking, Witness Tampering, Unlawful Criminal Restraint, Other Related Crimes

Petitioning for U Nonimmigrant Status (U Visa)

To petition for a U nonimmigrant status, submit:

Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status
Form, Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification, on which a law enforcement official confirms that you were or will likely be helpful in the prosecution of the case
A personal statement describing the criminal activity of which you were a victim
Evidence to establish each eligibility requirementSee links to the U nonimmigrant forms to the right.
See links to the U nonimmigrant forms to the right.

Filing for Qualifying Family Members

Certain qualifying family members are eligible for a derivative U visa

If you are…Then…
Under 21 years of age You may petition on behalf of your spouse, children, parents and unmarried siblings under age 18.
21 years of age or olderYou may apply on behalf of your spouse and children.

To petition for a qualified family member, you must file a Petition, Supplement A, Petition for Immediate Family Member of U-1 Recipient, at the same time as your application or at a later time. To apply for permanent residency (a green card) for yourself or a qualifying family member, see the Green Card page in the menu bar.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.